Self Report 5: Summary and Suggestions

Summary and Suggestions





1.1 Purposes of Practicum

Accordance with the objectives of the SEA Teacher Project, to provide opportunity for pre-service student teachers from universities in Southeast Asia to have teaching experiences (practicum) in schools in other countries in Southeast Asia.  So the purposes of practicum are; to enable student teachers to develop their teaching skills and pedagogy, to encourage the student teachers to practice their English skills, and to allow student teachers to gain a broader regional and world view.

1.2    Procedures of Practicum

The practicum procedure is divided into 4 steps. The first step is observation. Observation is an activity to review things in the school, ranging from general information about school, attitudes and behavior of students, academic support system, extracurricular activities of students, grading system, pedagogical system applied by the school, and teacher's method of teaching.
The second step is Teaching Assistant ship. Teaching Assistance is carried out with the cooperating teacher based on their respective subjects. The cooperating teacher will provide guidance and direction to teach in the classroom. This can be done by looking at the cooperating teacher's teaching process, exploring how the teacher provides material, methods used, time management and classroom management. The cooperating teacher will also assist in developing lesson plans. I can also consult about effective methods to attract students' attention. this process becomes one of the keys to success for our teaching practice.
The third step is Teaching Experience. This step is a much awaited thing and becomes the core activity of the practicum.
The fourth step is evaluation and reflection. Evaluation will be done once or twice during the implementation of teaching practice. Evaluations will be carried out by mentors and cooperating teachers. After being evaluated, the mentor and tutor teacher will reflect on the evaluation results to the participants. This is so that participants get feedback to improve and do better.


1.3              Outcomes of practicum

All I could say is that I have learned so many things through this program. Not only how to teach but also many lesson of life. I have learned how to make friends with foreign, learn how the cultural differences still can make us friend, fascinated by the people in foreign country. I have seen a beautiful country because of this program. But the most important thing is that I have learned that there are many ways of teaching procedure in this small world I have seen similarities and differences throughout my experience in Thailand because of Sea-Teacher program. Not only that but also: style of teaching, behavior of students, tips and tricks to teach which is more valuable for me as the teacher candidate in the future. I could adopt many methods to make me a better teacher in future.

1.4              The challenges of practicum
I must say the hardest part of the teaching practicum is that the language gap. Some of the locals cannot speak English which make the communication is not happening, but thankfully all the locals is kind and passion with us. They use body language to show us what they meant. As for the teaching practice language gap is the main problem because few of the children could not speak English, the only way is that I have to learn few Thai (which very fun to learn).

1.5              Overall impression

I cannot believe this program has ended. This program has thought me many things valuable as my future career in teaching (Insyaallah). Honestly I did not expect that I will be chosen for this. This experience was one of the most beautiful experiences in my life. This program is very educated in my opinion, because the most important part in learning is experience. Communication skill is one of the advantages of this program. For me the English department student, I have the opportunity to practice my English with foreigner and that made my English communication skill become better and better (insyaalah). Thank you very much for letting me joined this program.


1.6              Suggestions for future improvement

For the future improvement I suggest that the SEAMEO staff can observe the students one by one to make the coordinating between SEAMEO and the Sea-teachers run smoothly. For the VRU, the university has provided us with a kind service, but I was hoping that the VRU staff or anyone can come and see the sea-teacher directly. For VRUDS, the school has provided us with a comfortable service while we were there. My suggestion for VRUDS is that they need to make the evaluation into one category.

Komentar